Sneaking in Healthy Food

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

A friend gave me a wonderful tip (that she read in the healthy kid recipes book by Jerry Seinfeld's wife). She told me to start offering the Biscuit appetizers before dinner. The thinking is that you offer your child something healthy (veggies and such) before dinner when they are hungry as hippos so that dinnertime won't be as stressful (since you already know they've had something good to eat).

The Biscuit looks forward to his special plate of appetizers that he gets 15-30 minutes before supper. I usually only offer him 1 veggie as the app (more than 1 seemed to confuse him and make him less interested in eating the app). His favorites are:
  • edamame (soybeans)
  • tomatoes
  • cucumbers
  • carrots

It truly has served to make both of us happier. Of course he will often ask for a cookie as his app, but when he sees the plate with the healthy snack, he forgets the cookie request and eats the vibrant veggie instead.

  • As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
    🛒FEATURED PRODUCTS & RECOMMENDATIONS

    Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food - View on Amazon →


💗A note from the Author: I'm opening up the archives of Taming the Toddler to share the real, unfiltered moments of grace and humor that defined my early years of motherhood. If you enjoy these stories and are navigating the journey of parenting or pregnancy, check out my devotional work in my Prayers through Life book series: Prayers through Pregnancy or explore my faith-focused apparel: Seek God's Grace.

Got a toddler story of your own? Leave it in the comments. I'd love to connect.


No comments: