Amazon

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from this blog.

Pick Your Battles

Last night at dinner I gave the Biscuit some broccoli on his tray for the 4th or 5th time. I assumed that he would refuse to eat it as he usually does. To my surprise, he picked it up and named it "bwok-uh-lee" and put it in his mouth for a moment. He then very promptly removed it and threw it on the floor.

Usually I give him 'the business' for throwing food. I do pick my battles with him and while I typically will correct him verbally for throwing food on the floor, I don't discipline him much for it. I'm hoping the food throwing is a phase and he'll begin to mimic my table manners soon.

He continued the broccoli dance throughout the meal: In the mouth for a moment and then hurdled onto the floor. 

Each time he put the broccoli in his mouth, I smiled, and tried not to breathe (thinking I might break the spell that was causing my toddler to actually eat "some" broccoli). Finally, I realized what the Biscuit was doing.

He doesn't like the tops of the broccoli, only the bottom. Aha! He was putting it in his mouth, eating the bottom part and then throwing the icky tops away. I, too, used to be a broccoli stalk-eater as a child so I can understand the preference. There's something mushy about the tops that I despised eating. 

So, today I served broccoli topless. The Biscuit loved it. Stalks only for a while around here. Victory!

Tip: If you buy the broccoli cuts instead of florettes, it's easy to pick out the stalks. I like the tops now so he can have stalks while I eat the tops. (and I think the brocolli cuts are usually less expensive)
  • As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
    🛒FEATURED PRODUCTS & RECOMMENDATIONS

    Birds Eye broccoli cuts - View on Amazon →


💗A note from the Author: I'm opening up the archives of Taming the Toddler to share the real, unfiltered moments of grace and humor that defined my early years of motherhood. If you enjoy these stories and are navigating the journey of parenting or pregnancy, check out my devotional work in my Prayers through Life book series: Prayers through Pregnancy or explore my faith-focused apparel: Seek God's Grace.

Got a toddler story of your own? Leave it in the comments. I'd love to connect.


No comments: